Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brian Engblom Autographed Card

A few weeks ago, I participated in a contest organized by the reference in hockey card collecting, Sal Barry. And I won, kind of: I did answer correctly, but wasn't the first to do so. He did send me this magnificent consolation prize, though: an autographed 1981-82 Topps Brian Engblom card (card #10 in the set manufactured by Topps).

It is signed in black sharpie and I'm pretty sure he got it through the mail, as can be attested by his other Engblom success, which includes a nice back story on how he's now a very interesting colour commentator. He mentions writing to him in the future, and that post does have the same card, but signed in blue, so I assume mine is from a later shipment.

I would like to thank Sal publicly - for being a really nice guy through contests like these, but also for being the reference we all follow through his Q&A section - as well as for the fact that he's always available to answer any new questions we might have.

And since I was born in the late 70s, I don't really have many memories of Engblom as a member of the Montréal Canadiens, with whom he won 3 Stanley Cups. Instead, I view him more as a King or Capital; thanks to Sal for making Engblom a member of my hometown team in my mind from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment