Tuesday, February 23, 2016

T.J. Brodie Autograph Card

T.J. Brodie is fast becoming recognized as an elite NHL defenseman. Last year, he finished 18th in Norris voting despite the consensus pick before suffering a season-ending injury after Christmas being teammate and captain Mark Giordano; 49 games into this season, Brodie is 5 points away from his career high of 41 set last year, and has already surpassed his assists total, with 32 so far (including 11 in 9 games in February alone, with five games remaining on the Calgary Flames' schedule this month).

At 25 years old, he's just entering his prime, and at a $4.65M cap hit, he's signed to a team-friendly deal. I like the guy enough to pick him in nearly all my hockey pools, and those are just some of the reasons why I paid a premium for this card on Ebay last week:
It's the autographed insert version of card #123 from Panini's 2010-11 Contenders set (his Rookie card in the Season Ticket sub-set), signed on-card in this blue sharpie. Look closely: he's also not wearing his current #7 in the picture, instead sporting #66, a number he only wore for three games in the 2010-11 season, the only Flame ever to wear it in a regular game, so I needed it for my Flames Numbers Project, particularly in the same week that I made it official.

So, uh, $6.66 was my winning bid, because I'm a geek like that.

The Team Canada alumnus (from the 2013 IIHF World Championships) and fourth-round pick (114th in total) from the 2008 draft now sports the alternate captain's "A" in Calgary.

No comments:

Post a Comment