Friday, December 25, 2020

Box Break: 2020-21 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Tin

Whenever anyone asks me what I want for Christmas, the normal answers usually come out of my mouth: world peace, a job in hockey, and hockey cards. This year again, I was more than happy to receive a tin of Upper Deck's 2020-21 Series 1 hockey cards (buying from that link may result in my getting a commission for directing traffic). As mentioned previously earlier this month, I'm a big fan of the set, it looks and feels great. I had issues within my first break with many repeats, but I'm glad to say it didn't happen with the tin, fortunately, because having doubles of entire packs when there are just nine of them in total would have been insulting. Speaking of which, the tin came wrapped in a cardboard strip that looked like this front the front:
And like this on the side:
The way it says "8 packs per pack" and "10 packs per box" leads one to think there are 80 UD Series 1 cards plus the additional three O-Pee-Chee glossy rookie cards, but in fact, there were only nine packs of Series 1 cards and the OPCs came in their own foil pack, which brought the total card count to 75:
Speaking of which, two of them were seemingly of the regular-issue kind, Kiefer Bellows and Jake Evans:
The other one, featuring Josh Norris, was of perhaps a "Gold" variant:
In terms of standard UD cards, I was graced with three Young Guns, of Joel Kiviranta, Peyton Krebs and Evans:
I also landed a Canvas card of Rasmus Dahlin:
I pulled a Dazzlers card of New York Rangers goalie Igor Shesterkin that appears golden to the naked eye, instead of pink like the scan:
And there were Portraits cards of Max Domi and Jack Hughes:
This means one of my packs had no inserts whatsoever, although I did get repeats fo the regular set Checklists that I had already gotten in my first box.

I couldn't have asked for a better present, but UD has to be more careful about how they label stuff, there could eventually be massive penalties in Canada from the many Consumer Protection boards resulting in millions of dollars in fines.

As far as this year's collection goes, I'm sticking with my original grade: 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment