(team and product links go to sponsored Amazon products, player links go to related pages on my blog, news links go to source pages)
I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab myself a box of the season's first set, Upper Deck's 2026-27 MVP (Retail version):
The main set has a nice futuristic, computer chip-y design that UD could have used on a more premium set (but I'm glad they didn't):
I miss when the backs had statistics from the previous five seasons, but having an anecdote for every single player is actually a pretty decent feat. The box cost me $80 (plus taxes, which amounts to $92) for 36 packs of 7 cards each - 252 in total. All told, I pulled 29 insert cards, which means I got 223 base cards.
As far as inserts go, here is how they break down:
6 Silver Scripts, a returning sub-set, of Sam Bennett, Tim Stützle Nils Hoglander, Dylan Strome, Vincent Trocheck, and Alex Laferriere:
Now, granted, these aren't Young Guns from the flagship product, but folks are mostly chasing the Rookies cards, of which I pulled 7 (the first four of which I'm very happy to have): Nathan Gaucher, Anton Frondell, Konsta Helenius, Cole Hutson, Drew Fortescue, Avery Hayes, and Sandis Vilmanis:
Another returning sub-set is Clutch Performers, where I present you Nikita Kucherov and Carter Verhaeghe:
Paired Up features two players who at least ended the season on the same team, as seen here with Brady Tkachuk / Stützle of the Ottawa Senators and Kirill Kaprizov / Matt Boldy of the Minnesota Wild:
Gotta Have Hart is a good idea, but I'm on the mind that Nathan MacKinnon may have a better chance of winning it than William Nylander:
The Slot (possibly the heir to the "old" Net Crashers sub-set) sees Martin Necas and a pre-wealthy Leo Carlsson playing around the opposite goalie:
There were two Welcome Freshmen cards, of Danny Zhilkin and Angus Booth:
Another sub-set that is reminiscent of the past is Let It Rip!!!, with Boldy and Sidney Crosby:
But my very favourite sub-set this year is the (card-sized with rounded edges) Stickers. What a terrific design!
That's Josh Samanski, Vilmanis, Quinn Hughes and Necas.
Affordability and value are key issues in 2026, and the design of these cards make it a solid 8/10.
Friday, August 21, 2026
2026-27 Upper Deck Hockey MVP Box Break
Labels:
2026-27,
Box Breaks,
Card,
Clutch Performers,
Gotta Have Hart,
Hockey,
Insert,
Let It Rip!!!,
MVP,
Paired Up,
Rookies,
Silver Script,
Stickers,
The Slot,
Upper Deck,
variant,
Welcome Freshmen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















No comments:
Post a Comment