Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ryan Smyth: 5 Autographed Cards (Part 1)

Timing is everything!

I sent Ryan Smyth - one of my favourite Edmonton Oilers of all time! - these 5 cards, care of the Los Angeles Kings, on March 25th, 2011, along with a fan letter wishing him the best for the upcoming playoffs. I got them all back, signed in black sharpie, on May 23rd, 2011 after a quick elimination at the hands of the evil San Jose Sharks. And what a unique signature it is!

In my letter, I also added that I never thought he'd one day be a part of another team than the Oilers, but that I was happy to see him with the Colorado Avalanche, alongside my favourite player, Joe Sakic, and that he did look good in a Kings uniform. But that it wasn't the same as with the Oilers.

Well, karma has hit, as the trade to send him back to Edmonton was finalized yesterday, with the Kings getting Colin Fraser and a seventh-round pick in return.

So I now have this card to remind me of his Colorado days:
It is card #144 in Upper Deck's 2008-09 Victory collection.

I also have this memento of his time in Los Angeles, card #77 of UD's 2010-11 Black Diamond set:

              (continued in the next post)

No comments:

Post a Comment