Monday, August 3, 2015

Clark Gillies Autographed Card

I was very happy to find this Clark Gillies autographed card when going through my ''unused'' cards, seeing as it features him sporting the New York Islanders' white (then-home) uniform from one of Upper Deck's best hockey sets ever, the 2008-09 Masterpieces collection, of which this is card #43:
I'd featured Gillies three years ago as a member of the Buffalo Sabres from UD's 2002-03 Foundations set, but it felt kind of wrong seeing as how he'd been such a huge part of the Isles' success, providing a power forward-type of presence for their run of four straight Stanley Cups, finishing with 663 points in 872 games with New York, making the end-of-season First All-Star Team in both 1977-78 and 1978-79.

His career plus/minus rating of +241 ranks in the top-40 among all NHL alumni.

I didn't remember how expensive his signatures were from my first meeting with him (honestly, I didn't even remember he charged for them), so it was a bit of a shock when I got to a store signing and he was charging $50 per item two years ago! That meant I didn't purchase of box of cards, but I did end up having him sign this card because, well, I wanted one of his with the Islanders, and it is a great card.

But apart from one jersey card I've yet to feature, this should be it when it comes to Clark Gillies.

No comments:

Post a Comment