Sunday, November 17, 2019

10-Pack Break: 2019-20 O-Pee-Chee

I wasn't really in the mood to buy another small box of cards but still wanted to test Upper Deck's 2019-20 O-Pee-Chee product early enough in the season that I could use them for some mailings, and I was not disappointed.

As usual, these are made from regular cardboard stock that will not require much erasing for the player's autograph to stick; furthermore, this year's design is clean and light, which will make signatures pop off of them, as can beattested from the base cards (virtually no money was spent on the backside):
Of course, this is an OPC product, so there are a fair bit of the single-colour background "Retro" cards, but even their design stays relatively simple with just a pair of flashy colours for the background and lettering; I landed four of them:
There are also the "Blue Border Parallels", and I'm hoping to get both of these signed this year:
Of course, a 600-card set will usually have a very good player selection, and this one is no exception; it also has a fair share of rookies, since I landed four:
And this time around, the French translation for Marquee Rookies is good.

I also got a "Caramel Mini" variant of one of the most polarizing players in the league:
And, as usual and as was the case with the other best "bang-for-your-buck" set of my return to card collecting (Panini's Score sets), I had to receive a Season Highlights card of a San Jose Sharks player:
All told, this is one that aims to please low-income collectors, kids and people who like getting their cards signed, and the French translations have improved 300% from previous years' sets. I also do not regret buying these packs individually instead of in a box, which means they're not too overpriced, even if these aren't the 30-cent packs from my youth.

This rates a solid 8/10 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment