Friday, February 19, 2021

10-Pack Break: 2020-21 Upper Deck Tim Hortons

(team and brand links go to sponsored Amazon products, player links go to related pages on my blog, news links go to source pages)
For reasons linked to confinement, lockdowns, an 8 PM province-wide curfew, 15-hour workdays and having a toddler at home, I was unable to head to a Tim Hortons store in the Fall for the annual tradiition that is buying a $2 tea or $3 small bottle of Coke Zero to buy a pack of Upper Deck's 2021-21 Tim Hortons cards at $1 instead of the "regular" price of $2, so I had decided to skip this year altogether, until I found a seller on Ebay who sold a 10-pack for $27, shipping included, essentially saving me the trouble of buying the drinks and cutting down my total costs by 30-40%. I'm not sure I'd buy another ten-pack, but I'm happy I got these 30 cards for the season.

First, here's a look at the base cards, front and back (spoiler alert, they're pretty similar to those of years past):
The foil looks good, the three-dimensional etchings are nice, and the back still has stats from the past five season as well as a call-back to the picture on the front.

There are also the usual Tim Hortons sub-sets, such as Gold Etchings, of which I landed Connor McDavid and Carey Price:
There's also a staple of the last few years, Red, featuring Price and Drew Doughty:
The All-Star Standouts cards are back, I pulled David Pastrnak, Jordan Binnington and Quinn Hughes:
I continued my luck of picking players from blue teams in the Clear-Cut Phenoms class with the Toronto Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews (instead of the usual Patrik Laine of years past):
Cup Winners are represented by Duncan Keith (it's actually a silver foil card to the naked eye):
UD also recycled the Canvas series from its signature series, with Pastrnak:
The Kucherov card is the only double I got, here's how the packs collated:

11: Jonathan Huberdeau
23: David Perron
26: Blake Wheeler
31: Carey Price
33: Dougie Hamilton
34: Auston Matthews
55: Mark Scheifele
58: Kris Letang
74: John Carlson
83: Max Pacioretty
85: Connor Brown
86: Nikita Kucherov (x2)
89: Reilly Smith
92: Evgeny Kuznetsov
95: Matt Duchene
101: Tyler Seguin
115: Frederick Andersen
121: Adam Henrique
123: Jeff Carter

Canvas:
C-8: David Pastrnak

Cup Winners:
CW-7: Duncan Keith

Standouts:
AS-5: David Pastrnak
AS-11: Jordan Binnington
AS-14: Quinn Hughes

Cleart-Cut:
CC-7: Auston Matthews

Red:
DC-18: Carey Price
DC-30: Drew Doughty

Gold Etchings:
G-1: Connor McDavid
G-9: Carey Price

It's still a solid set, worth an 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment