Sunday, January 13, 2019

2018-19 Upper Deck Hockey Mystery Box Break

I've got to admit, this Upper Deck 2018-19 Mystery Box was compelling, at $45. A Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin/Evgeni Malkin, Mario Lemieux or Leon Draisaitl signed card? A Wayne Gretzky or Connor McDavid signed jersey? A premium pack? A coin worth $99?

Of course, I landed none of that, but I did get at least one of every "regular" pack shown on the box, namely a pack of the 2015-16 Series 1 set:
A pack of the 2015-16 Series 2 set:
Two packs of 2016-17 Series 1:
One pack of 2016-17 Parkhurst:
One pack of 2016-17 Team Canada Juniors/Women cards:
Two packs of the 2017-18 Series 1 cards:
And my guaranteed "Hobby" pack, from the 2016-17 CHL set:
I had fun opening the packs and landed a few inserts.

There is a Young Guns Canvas card of Nick Cousins:
A Parkhurst silver parallel of Daniel Sedin and two rookies:
Two UD Portraits cards from different sets:
And my CHL pack landed me 12 young players including this Milos Roman rookie card:
But the two best were this 2017-18 Game Jersey card of John Klingberg:
And this gold variant (#25/38) jersey card of Canadian Olympian Halli Krzyzaniak's:
The guaranteed "hit" card was this Authentic Fabrics jersey card of former New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan from the 2013-14 SP Game-Use Edition set:
The only truly disappointing pull was the fact that the guaranteed rookie card is in terrible shape; it's Auston Matthews' Top Rookies card from the 2017-18 MJ Holdings Hockey set but has three banged corners, nearly half the left side of the cardboard lifted off and cutting lines on top and on the right:
Considering it should probably be the box's most valuable hit, it's a huge disappointment. I probably would've been able to make a Toronto Maple Leafs fan very happy via trade with this one, but I can't see anyone going out of their way trying to acquire it from me.

I'll contact Upper Deck and see if they can replace it for me, or perhaps explain that the entire run of MJ Holdings cards are this way. If it stands as is, I'll have to rate this one a 6.0/10.

1 comment:

  1. Terrible! Nothing but worthless cards inside. I suggest avoid buying this product.

    ReplyDelete